12/23/09

Rendition in Progress, pt 1



So here is the new version. I think the images that will appear over the next 10 days are actually from two different drawings (one abandoned, one finished).

Essentially, what a few friends say they found odd (other than the fact that I draw and paint with both hands at the same time), is that I paint with graphite before I draw with graphite. What I mean is that I take graphite powder and brush the powder on with a traditional oil paintbrush and rub it around with foam brushes as I start the base of the drawing. It is something like getting an underpainting established before working on the rest of the painting.

Why? I'm not sure. I just discovered it was easier and quicker and I could more easily erase and alter parts of a drawing this way. This makes it easier to fix proportions and change values (light and dark areas).

In this image, you can see the watercolor tray where I put the powder and one of the foam brushes.

No comments: