1/19/09

Manapouri Hydro Station

I honestly have no idea why we wasted part of the trip driving through a tunnel to look at a hydro power station, but we did. I think the Manapouri Hydro Power Station partly funds the tours of Doubtful Sound. However, one good thing came out of the trip...

Preface:

My Dad was a Public Relations man before he retired. I appreciate good PR. However, I equally appreciate a good story about PR gone wrong (Palin’s Gobble Debacle comes to mind).

During the tour we saw the underground power plant (interesting, I suppose) and there were tons of pics of the construction. For me, however, one particular image stood out. It was a PR moment where the very last blast was scheduled to be set off by a political official.

Let me quote the sign before the image:

“1968: Justice Minister Ralph Hanan [ceremoniously] fires the last shot in the first tunnel, which was packed with too much dynamite.”



Classic.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoying the trip through New Zealand. The photos are awesome. And why do we feel compelled to visit the strangest sites such as hydraulic stations or dams or big balls of mud?

ArtsyFartsyTim said...

Thanks, Mary! I don't know, but I just love that photo