2/25/09

Honda Insight Battery

At 121,000 miles, the IMA light came on in my 2000 Honda Insight, indicating there might be a problem with the battery. The warranty expired at 75,000 miles, so I was nervous. Before I even made it to the Honda dealer, however, I discovered Honda had extended the warranty to 150,000 miles or 10 years. With fingers crossed, I visited the dealer to have them run a computer check on the IMA signal. The result was the battery needed to be replaced (for the second time, btw) but I would pay zero dollars. Nice

I thought I would share images of the battery being swapped out.


The battery sits in the hatchback area just behind the seats.


Before you get to the battery, you encounter the casing...


...and this sign. I asked the mechanic why there wasn't a third option: "but if you know what you are doing, you should be fine." Only two options seemed overly forbidding and grim, to me.


To make things simple, all you had to do was toss this baby (which looked just like a light switch) similar to a breaker in your basement and voilĂ , you were ready to go.


With the case removed.


The battery was shipped overnight from a place in California...


...in this case...


...behold in all its geeky magnificence.


...and all its wires.


Although most of the wires were for the computer system.


and these were the only spots for the positive and negative terminals.


if you look closely, you can see that it is really an array of many separate D-Cell-like batteries all lined up. Pretty cool.

I drove it home the same day. Honda seems to want these 2000 Insights to last, because I am supposed to take it back in a week for an updated computer and a new adapter on the battery (all free).

So far it seems to be driving just fine, thank you.

3 comments:

J3SS said...

neat-o. thanks for these!

ArtsyFartsyTim said...

Isn't it cool? I am hoping this little car lasts another 3-5 years. The new Insight will only get about the same mileage as the Prius. I hope they make a plug-in version (I would buy that!). This one is still capable of 60+ mpg. Lifetime average over 121,000 miles is about 55 mpg (city and highway combined).

Anonymous said...

Our Battery went bad at 154,000 miles and with the economy Honda wasn’t in a financially helpful mood. The mechanic said that it would be OK to drive using the 3 cylinder engine so my wife drove to upstate NY from Ohio with all the warning and idiot light lit and no indicator lights for the battery. On the way back on a gas fillup the Insight wouldn’t start. Her luck had an Interstate Battery store next to the filling station and she replaced the small motorcycle like battery that is used for starting. Fifty miles down the road the warning & idiot lights went out and the large battery came back to life with all the indicator light working. That was two months ago and the car and batteries are working like they always did.
Can anyone explain that? Anyway, if they say that you need $2500. to replace your main battery, try replaceing the little one first!