3/1/09

Andrew Bird at Slowdown

I went to the Andrew Bird show at Slowdown in Omaha with Kevin Marx. The last time I saw Bird live he opened for Wilco. Best opening act, ever.

There are lots of videos out there of Andrew Bird playing "Masterfade" and many of them are surely much better than this (I shot this on my Canon G10 which cannot shoot HD, sadly). This is a handheld point-and-shoot capture with no external mic.

Still, if you watch closely, you can see him play a sequence, capturing it in a loop, then play more over that loop, and so on. After several loops are playing over each other, he starts singing and whistling for the last elements of the song. It sounds like an orchestra, all coming from one guy. This guy astonishes me and I love his music. This is amazing to watch, even if this isn't your style of music.

No comments: